Job 1, both D0's, memory, & LPC points! (All trashed)
some people shouldn't solder. This is an example of that. Some pretty major damage, but all in all I got it up and running again.
|When I first saw this board I could hardly
believe my eyes!! It was almost completely trashed.
|The alternate D0 point
(click for a pop-up enlargement). Note that the test point as
well as part of the trace is missing. This turned out to be
relatively easy, if not tight spacing, to fix.
|This picture is of the
DDR memory pads directly adjacent to the alternate D0 point
(click for a pop-up enlargement). I don't even understand how
these got involved (I was told it was as a result of solder
splash, though I have my doubts)
|Here is the LPC bus
after a major wreck. You will notice there are 2 VIAs missing,
whilst a third (pin 16) is damaged. In fact only the annular
ring was left, the whole of the barrel of the VIA being torn
out. I was told this damage occurred because someone removed
the pin header with pliers and without melting the solder
I got to work on this board a couple days after I received it and
took these pictures.
Ok I'm writing the long story (at least as much of it as I can before
I get too tired to finish it.)
As you likely know I am a member of the Evox and Xbox-scene forums
under the handle (suprise) networkBoy. As part of the Evox forum, a few
of us high posters got together and decided that since we knew how to
blab enough to get our post counts either into or near the four digit
mark that meant we also knew enough to spin off Team Xbox Gods (XBG for
short). Well I know where my talent lies (and it's not public
relations). As my profile says I make my living breaking things (in a
controlled manor) so I believe I'm ideally suited to fix these boxes up
to do marvelous things. Unfortunately one of my teams other members
(and his buddy) don't have the same level of background in SMT rework I
have. The results of their endeavor to mod the xbox were as follows
*(hopefully I got this right ;):
||First they solder in the pin header and use
some monster gauge wire to connect the Alt D0.
||Unit doesn't work. Hmmmm...
||start double checking the D0 conection and
burns himself with the iron (DOH!) nails a couple pads on the
memory footprint and shorts them out.
||Tries to un-short them and succeeds (by
removing the offending pad ha ha ha ha ha!!! )
||buddy rips out the LPC header with pliers (and
w/o melting the solder first. Something about "solder is weak
and the pin will just pull out" <-hope I got that right.
||All holy hell breaks out and the board is
shipped to me for resurrection (or demolition if required)
||I get board, take pics, repair it, write this,
laugh, and send it back priority mail.
|After the alt D0 was
|the DDR pads, fatally
wounded, but not shorting out any more.
|the LPC connector pin
16 is mortally wounded and will never again be used, but
cheapmods don't need it anyway :)